[eclipse.org-architecture-council] Release records on Eclipse PMI

Dear Architecture Council,

I wish all of you a happy new year and would like to get your opinion on the following:

During the last months I have seen several projects which do no longer seem to create release records on the Eclipse PMI for their projects and/or project components.

For example, the Eclipse Keyple project is currently engaging in a progress review [1] and maintains multiple components with distinct release cycles under the scope of the Keyple project. They seem to have created a release per month on average per component last year and keep track of these releases on their project website's changelog [2] but did not create corresponding release records on the PMI for these releases [3].

I also see other projects adopting this habit, e.g. using only GitHub releases. In all these cases it seems that the records on the PMI do/would not provide any additional value so I wonder if we cannot simply get rid of them altogether and simply use the PMI to keep track of the progress reviews.

In the meantime, the IoT PMC has been asked to approve the Keyple project's progress review and I wonder if we can indeed attest that the project is following the EDP, given that they do not create the release records on the PMI? Any input would be helpful here ...

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Kai Hudalla

Center of Excellence Open and Inner Source
Robert Bosch GmbH | Postfach 10 60 50 | 70049 Stuttgart | GERMANY | www.bosch.com
Mobil +49 151 54336335

Sitz: Stuttgart, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 14000;
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Prof. Dr. Stefan Asenkerschbaumer; Geschäftsführung: Dr. Stefan Hartung,
Dr. Christian Fischer, Filiz Albrecht, Dr. Markus Forschner, Dr. Markus Heyn, Dr. Tanja Rückert

Back to the top