Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Next Meeting?

Hey!

(sorry for being late on this thread, just back from vacation)

I agree to the comment from John regarding Flux. We were “too early” for others to pick up the idea and turn this into more than a prototype. As the main inventor of this technology I am particularly sad that I can’t work on this at the moment due to changed priorities (company-wise).

Anyway, I still think that Flux addresses one of the main challenges that we have to solve in the future. I think we should have a very clear and precise answer to the question how to use desktop IDEs and cloud-based IDEs TOGETHER. They are not a replacement of each other. They overlap a lot, but they address different issues and different goals. Therefore, IMHO, the discussion should not be Eclipse IDE VERSUS Eclipse Che. The discussion could be how to combine both technologies to create something that can be used across those worlds and is truly unique. (I can elaborate more on that vision, but that might go beyond this thread.)

I don’t care very much about the exact wording “next generation IDE”, maybe because I hear this mostly with my "marketing blurb” ear - and it can be interpreted in various ways anyway. I think we have a very unique chance to use the Eclipse IDE together with the technology from Eclipse Che to create something that combines those worlds and allows even more innovation in the IDE space. We should join forces across those project boundaries and work together towards such a greater vision.

Just a few thoughts…
-Martin

P.S.: Regarding the future of Flux: I’ve seen quite a number of students being interesting in Flux for the Google Summer of Code. Maybe we can use that force to drive more innovation in this area this way. We will see.