Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] The Opportunity

On 21 Mar 2016, at 15:23, Doug Schaefer wrote:

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 7:42 AM, John Arthorne john@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 3:24 AM, Max Rydahl Andersen manderse@xxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

Just one comment here - that survey looks so completely foobar it hurts.

The OS stats goes against every other stat available on this area.
If OSX really is 26% of their users then its weird 35% prefer a Windows
only dev environment (Visual Studio).

Unless stack overflow would also publish the actual OS usage stats they
track I seriously
distrust that survey.

Getting off topic, but where is the inconsistency there? The survey shows

50% of developers using Windows, so 35% using VS is not inconsistent with

that. The survey certainly has the problem that some questions are "pick
one" and others are "pick all that apply", which skews some of the results.

Precisely. I also think the number for Sublime, which is mainly a Mac tool,
also gives some credence to the Mac number. And, I know it's not scientific
in any way, but I've spend the last year and a half learning about cloud
development as we started building some tooling that runs there, and almost
all tutorials for front-end technologies out on internet are done using
Sublime on a Mac.

At any rate, it's just one data point. I've been in the tools industry a
long time. If I've learned anything, it's that developers don't trust tools
and demand choice. You may convince some developers to move their code
exclusively to the web, but I really want to see the independent market
research that shows this will become mainstream to the degree that would
grow the Eclipse community four fold

I hope you guys are not reading my complaints against this survey as saying its
untrue OSX is growing.

I'm simply just saying their numbers does not add up to other reality.

btw. its pretty devious having OSX as one version but Windows is spread over multiple versions.

Just realised how that makes the survey even more misleading while still showing right numbers.

/max

Doug

John

IMPORTANT: Membership in this list is generated by processes internal to
the Eclipse Foundation. To be permanently removed from this list, you must
contact emo@xxxxxxxxxxx to request removal.