Re: [eclipse-pmc] A request to decouple ACL for core components

>It's much worse.  Here is what we have today:
Is this really an issue once the group is created? Is it causing pain to
the foundation?

Dani

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Denis Roy <denis.roy@xxxxxxxxxxx>                                                                                                                 |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                                                                           |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |22.07.2010 15:59                                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>

  On 07/22/2010 09:52 AM, Wayne Beaton wrote:
> The Eclipse Platform project currently has (I believe) seven different
> UNIX groups.

It's much worse.  Here is what we have today:

droy@build:~> getent group | grep ^plat | awk -F: '{print $1}'
plat-ant
plat-compare
plat-core
plat-debug
plat-help
plat-releng
plat-scripting
plat-search
plat-swt
plat-ui
plat-update
plat-vcm
plat-webdav
plat
plat-doc
plat-update-home
plat-testsboot
plat-core-mac
plat-core-photon
plat-vcm-team
plat-rel-core
plat-ui-home
platform-feature
plat-core-hpux
plat-vcm-ssh2
plat-cheatsheet
plat-exp
plat-intro
plat-rcp
plat-ui-team
plat-present
plat-ltk-ui
plat-ui-ext-tool
plat-test-perf
plat-ui-nav
plat-jfaces
plat-ui-browser
plat-ui-bindings
plat-ui-present
plat-ua-browser
plat-ua-cheatsheet
plat-ui-tabbed
plat-ua-universal
plat-incubator

> [...]

>> success.
>>
>> I'm curious to understand the "new committers usually end up in most but
>> not all of these groups" part. For what reason are some committers
>> restricted from some parts of the code?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Wayne
>>
>> Boris Bokowski wrote:
>>> If we go ahead with the required project creations/moves/removals
>>> (most of which would be to merge a number of existing unix groups),
>>> would it make sense to merge other Unix groups at the same time?
>>>
>>> Just to be clear, I don't want to complicate things and would be fine
>>> with just doing what's necessary to do the split suggested by Szymon.
>>>
>>> But I am wondering if this may be a good opportunity to merge all of
>>> (plat-ui-home, plat-rcp, plat-ui-nav, plat-jfaces, plat-ui-bindings,
>>> plat-ui-present, plat-ui-tabbed, carbon-ui) into plat-ui. All these
>>> groups exist only for historical reasons, and new committers usually
>>> end up in most but not all of these groups, leading to unnecessary
>>> back-and-forth between the new committers, myself, the PMC, and the
>>> webmaster.
>>>
>>> Boris
>>>
>>> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 1:08 PM, John Arthorne
>>> <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>>

>>>     Thinking more about this, I believe this will be a fairly
>>>     complicated change. I suggest that Szymon write up a wiki page or
>>>     similar describing the proposed changes in detail, and we can all
>>>     review it before asking the foundation to make the changes. There
>>>     are currently the following ACL's on eclipse.org
>>> <http://eclipse.org> related to platform core: plat-core,
>>>     plat-testsboot, plat-core-mac, plat-core-photon, plat-rel-core,
>>>     plat-core-hpux, core-variables. We need to know what the new
>>>     groups are called (probably eclipse.platform.runtime and
>>>     eclipse.plaform.resources), and what projects map to each ACL.
>>>     Hopefully we can completely replace the seven existing ACL's with
>>>     just two. From the Foundation perspective this is effectively a
>>>     set of project creations/moves/removals but hopefully we can do it
>>>     without too much process overhead.
>>>

>>>     *Daniel Megert <daniel_megert@xxxxxxxxxx
>>> <mailto:daniel_megert@xxxxxxxxxx>>*
>>>     Sent by: eclipse-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
>>> <mailto:eclipse-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>
>>>     07/21/2010 12:18 PM
>>>
>>>     Please respond to
>>>     eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>>>                  "eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
>>> <mailto:eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
>>> "
>>> <eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
>>>     cc
>>>
>>>     Subject
>>>                  re: [eclipse-pmc] A request to decouple ACL for core
>> components
>>>

>>>     We discussed this today in the PMC call and approve this change.
>>>     Please
>>>     file a bug to request the new groups along with their members.

Eclipse Summit Europe, Nov 2-4
http://www.eclipsecon.org/summiteurope2010/