Re: [eclipse-pmc] A request to decouple ACL for core components

As Boris suggests, there is a great deal of back-and-forth created by the current structure, resulting in confusion for the webmasters, committers, and the community.

I'd like you to seriously consider this as an opportunity to simplify.

We have been working over the past few years to reduce the number of UNIX groups for each project. In fact, we intend to work toward a state where we have exactly one UNIX group per project. FWIW, collapsing your group structure does not require any kind of community review; you can just work with the webmaster to get it done.

The CDT project has, for example, been very successful in collapsing their group structure into a single group and managing finer-grained access using social convention. Many other projects have had similar success.

I'm curious to understand the "new committers usually end up in most but not all of these groups" part. For what reason are some committers restricted from some parts of the code?

Thanks,

Wayne

Boris Bokowski wrote:
If we go ahead with the required project creations/moves/removals (most of which would be to merge a number of existing unix groups), would it make sense to merge other Unix groups at the same time?

Just to be clear, I don't want to complicate things and would be fine with just doing what's necessary to do the split suggested by Szymon.

But I am wondering if this may be a good opportunity to merge all of (plat-ui-home, plat-rcp, plat-ui-nav, plat-jfaces, plat-ui-bindings, plat-ui-present, plat-ui-tabbed, carbon-ui) into plat-ui. All these groups exist only for historical reasons, and new committers usually end up in most but not all of these groups, leading to unnecessary back-and-forth between the new committers, myself, the PMC, and the webmaster.

Boris