Re: [eclipse-mirrors] New Eclipse Mirror in India

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019, Denis Roy wrote:

Hi again.

Your mirror was delisted (but still probed) because of timeouts.

Every 4 hours we pull a random 1M to 3M file from mirrors to assess
exactitude, availability and speed. In your case, we are always timing out.

Do you have a central probe or a regional one? In case of regional mirror with good local connectivity in countries with limited transit you might get misleading results if you're only looking at the performance from "the outside".

Even from my workstation, this is what I see:

wget -S
http://eclipse.mirrors.estointernet.in/mpc/releases/1.4.2/mpc-1.4.2.zip
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
  HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Saving to: `mpc-1.4.2.zip'

18% [=>                      ] 725,188     7.54K/s  eta 4m 37s  ^C

From Umeå University, Sweden, I get:

3.79M  1.06MB/s    in 3.6s

for that file, same speed via ipv4 and ipv6.

Note that we have a 351ms RTT to that mirror, and initial speeds are Real Slow until the TCP window gets large enough to get some kind of speed.

If you have default (small) TCP window sizes tuned, that speed increase might never happen.

With that low transfer rate, we won't have much success with your
mirror.  Sorry.

If the transit bandwidth is the problem the mirror might actually work better than international "high bandwidth" mirrors for that region, if the eclipse download redirector thingie can handle only assigning requests from that region to it.

I for one would trust those with regional knowledge on this subject, unless you have presence in the region and can compare the performance/benefit for the community.

Denis