Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] New E4 demo

Absolutely ! The current model is 'top heavy' in that if places everything in one bucket and then rellies on constructing a 'valid' model (i.e. one that the renderer uinderstands). This means that people would have to read the documentation on what's 'valid' since there are no structural hints in the model (just use the XMI editor on the current model, you can add a view to a menu...;-). Given that this model is a significant component of our new 'API' we need something more intuitive...

It was put together ny a novice EMF user (me...;-) whose edutaction was limited to an EMF course titled "just enough to be dangerous". Aside from being too general it's likely missing a lot of the more subtle EMF patterns (computed properties...) that might be useful.

If anyone wants to give feedback or even take a crack at making this 'type' safe(er) go to it (I'll be glad to update any necessary UI code to match the new model structure).

After talking it over with McQ and Kevin I've opened a bugzilla (248439) to track the feedback, patches...all comers welcome!!

Onwards,
Eric

Tom Schindl <tom.schindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/24/2008 03:17 AM

Please respond to
E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] New E4 demo

By the way we are open for feedback from everybody on what they think about
the current
workbench-emf-model. What did you like, where do you think we can improve
(we need to find the balance between a DOMish- and a Typed-Model which is a
tightrope walk), ... .

Tom