Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] What I dislike about using EMF for e4...

Tom wrote:

Does the following make sense?

If our workbench uses a model an IConfigurationElement is not needed any
more because you do your contribution using XMI (if we use EMF).

Tom, this is one of the important points that is being missed; thank you for pointing it out.

We -cannot- simply say we dont' need to use 'x' anymore where 'x' is something that comes from our use of 'core' infrastructure. IConfigurationElement is the integration point for our extension point handling. We're a -consumer- of these objects (which are supplied by equinox now) and unless we're going to re-write equinox they will, by necessity, exist in e4. The same is true where 'x' is part of our current API, at least IMemento and ScopedPreferenceStore fit into this category...

This is why I've been proposing YAMI (Yet Another Model Interface); if it were simply another API supporting the same functionality I'd be justifiably shot (I'd do it myself...;-). What I'm hoping to be able to do is to at least allow our users to have a 'common' api through which they can access the underlying information in a consistent manner; we make one more API but they see at least 3 -less-.

Please step back from EMF for a second and take this into consideration when thinking about the 'common' API; it's job isn't necessarily to support a single particular model but to allow common access to many different model 'flavors' in order to simplify the story for our clients.

At least that's my dream,
Eric

Back to the top