From: Kevin McGuire <Kevin_McGuire@xxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:19:41
To:E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] e4 and J2SE-1.5

(I'm enjoying the Chris and Jeff luv-in here <g>).

I didn't get the sense that people didn't agree that its important that, as a framework. Eclipse be applicable to a wide set of usages.  I think folks are just trying to understand the cost benefit, 2 years out.

Personally I don't find it productive trying to make these decisions in the abstract.  If for example the web portion required java 1.5 to function (don't know if that's true, just suppose), then well that'd be a pretty strong argument for 1.5.  In the absence of hard requirements for 1.5 then I agree we should remain as minimal as reasonably possible.  Of course then we need to figure out what "reasonable" means...

Our requirements will become clear as we progress on doing the real work.

Kevin

 "Christopher Aniszczyk" <caniszczyk@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
04/18/2008 11:32 AM

Please respond to
 E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

To "E4 developer list" <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] e4 and J2SE-1.5

I'll reiterate what Jeff said again. Eclipse is a platform. It needs to be able to run on various things. The core pieces of Eclipse are extra sensitive to this effort. The same logic should be followed with UI bits and pieces. People have to get out of their head that Eclipse is just about being on the desktop where the Java technology tends to be bleeding edge. Eclipse technology runs on devices, servers, my BMW 7 series that I dreamed about last night, SKI LIFTS (where? do they have openings ;p) etc... things tend to be behind due to the constrained environments.

 Eclipse has a very good story set out for itself if you can state that you can reuse components and skills across platforms. I dream of a world where an Eclipse plug-in developer can reuse his skills to create web applications, embedded applications, desktop applications and whatever other application platform is based on Eclipse.

 Will Java change in the future? Sure ( <http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/sun-scrapping-mobile-java-moving-devices-to-standard-java-313589.php> http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/sun-scrapping-mobile-java-moving-devices-to-standard-java-313589.php). If e4 is componentized in a good way, we should be able to keep old bundles that run on older platforms while building new plug-ins that run on newer platforms. The challenging thing is going to be to decide how to componentize things in a environment sensitive way while not inhibiting innovation.