RE: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Initial discussion onthe'modelled'workbench UI

Wow that was poorly worded on my part (late on a Friday, sigh), sorry.  I just wanted to make sure that Eric since it was his original work. I saw emails from several people who aren't platform committers who were keen to get involved, and hoped we could all proceeded in some kind of coordinated fashion for maximal progress.

So first off, profound apologies, Tom, for how that came across.

But in the spirit of openness, I must confess that a problem I always have is that I work by visual.  I think I need pictures of committers who aren't in this hallway up on the wall to make me feel like their in the same hall.  Then they will be more part of my consciousness. To be honest I'm terrible with names and they just fly by without registering.  And unfortunately for me out of site is out of mind (I've always done terribly at managing remote teams, despite best intentions). I did know Tom was a committer.  It really helped that this year at EclipseCon I finally met Tom face to face. I'm explaining this here because I think its for me perhaps a more important e4 issue than the technical detaIs, which is about building and maintaining group consciousness.  Tom wasn't here sitting on the couches when we had coffee time discussions over Eric's modelling work.  And that's a problem (a cardboard cut-out of Tom with a little conferencing phone built in would've been perfect <g>). But email is such a poor substitute and things don't get recorded to be shared.

I'd like to do better at this. If I forget, please remind me.

Cheers,
Kevin

Boris Bokowski/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/05/2008 11:09 AM

Please respond to
E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject

Kevin wrote:
> At the risk of killing momentum, I'd like to suggest that this
> investigation would work best if someone on the platform team (yes,
> I'm looking at you Eric <g>) were involved to whatever degree it
> made sense.

I am a little surprised - Kevin did you realize that Tom is *already* a
member of the Platform team, as a Platform UI committer?

Yes, Eric should be involved in this, but I also think that Tom should be
allowed to do the same thing Eric has done - produce some experimental code
to be used in the discussion (code speaks!) - and I have therefore
nominated Tom as an e4 committer.

For higher-bandwidth communication, we can use the #eclipse-dev channel
(see http://wiki.eclipse.org/IRC). I know that both Eric and Tom can be
found there regularly. Please remember to post occasional updates to the
mailing list as well...

Boris