We do not have a lot of time anyway in the GSoC development period.
What I think is needed in the period is the following:
1. Enable a way for people to create an eclipse user id from within the workbench
Currently, people are not forced to get a Bugzilla password. A part of Salvo (in a different plugin) would make it very easy for the eclipse user to get a userid and password for newsgroup and bugzilla access. There is some work in mylyn to create a bugzilla user from the workbench but this should be made more common.
2. Provider a way for other projects to hook their newsgroups into Salvo
The extension point would make it possible for other projects to connect the projects namespace to the projects newsgroup. For example,
Read Me Article: nntp://<host>:<port>/<newsgroup-name>/<article-number>
Now if any view or editor or stacktrace from this project is active AND the user selects the "Ask a question" action then Salvo would know the newsgroup to post to.
3. Make a good but not intrusive user experience when participating in news. What this is needs some thinking. But some sliding notification window or a Apple style counter as an icon decoration comes to mind.
On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Isuru Udana <isudana@xxxxxxxxx>
I was busy with my end semester exams during last week. That's why I couldn't keep touch with the project.
I downloaded the Salvo RCP application and test it out. It's a great feature to integrate into the eclipse workbench since developers can ask for help and share their ideas directly from the workbench.
But my concern is whether this project idea is good enough to fit a GSOC project since I couldn't find any major important features that can be added to the workbench other than you have mentioned. Following are some of the minor features we can include.
1. We can provide a perspective for Salvo in eclipse workbench
Whenever user want to browse through articles he/she can simply switch to that perspective. And users can switch back to their working environment by simply changing the perspective.
2. All the options and preferences available in the RCP application should be available on the workbench.
3. We can provide a popup and a status bar indication when a reply is received.
I believe to getting started with the project I should look into the Salvo code and make some contribution to it. Can you please suggest me the way to begin contributing the Salvo considering the fact I am a newbie for Salvo project.
On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Wim Jongman <wim.jongman@xxxxxxxxx>
You mean as the initial part of the project we have to identify what's need to be integrated to the workbench ?
OK. To getting involve with the project first I will come up with some possible ideas.
Exactly! In what way can Eclipse users benefit the most from the newsreader integration. Can we think of innovative ways to do this.
soc-dev mailing list
-- Isuru UdanaDepartment of Computer Science & Engineering,
University of Moratuwa.
: http://isudana.tk/ Blog
: isudana skype