Re: [ecf-dev] [soc-dev] Salvo - the Eclipse NNTP/Newsreader Project

Hi Isuru,

We do not have a lot of time anyway in the GSoC development period.

What I think is needed in the period is the following:

1. Enable a way for people to create an eclipse user id from within the workbench
Currently, people are not forced to get a Bugzilla password. A part of Salvo (in a different plugin) would make it very easy for the eclipse user to get a userid and password for newsgroup and bugzilla access. There is some work in mylyn to create a bugzilla user from the workbench but this should be made more common.

2. Provider a way for other projects to hook their newsgroups into Salvo
The extension point would make it possible for other projects to connect the projects namespace to the projects newsgroup. For example,

namespace: org.eclipse.ecf.*
newgroup: nntp://news.eclipse.org/eclipse.technology.ecf
Read Me Article: nntp://<host>:<port>/<newsgroup-name>/<article-number>

Now if any view or editor or stacktrace from this project is active AND the user selects the "Ask a question" action then Salvo would know the newsgroup to post to.

3. Make a good but not intrusive user experience when participating in news. What this is needs some thinking. But some sliding notification window or a Apple style counter as an icon decoration comes to mind.

Best regards,

Wim