Re: [e4-dev] Dynamic Eclipse 4 with Clojure language

2013/11/21 Tom Schindl <tom.schindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 21.11.13 16:00, Laurent PETIT wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm Laurent Petit, main developer of Counterclockwise, the open source
>> Clojure Plugin for Eclipse.
>>
>> Lars Vogel suggested me to post my questions here, since they are
>> related to uncommon use of the Eclipse 4 framework.
>>
>> I want to embrace Eclipse 4 Model and dynamic (runtime) development in
>> the Counterclockwise plugin.
>>
>> So I'm currently experimenting with an interactive Clojure Console to
>> modify the Model on the fly.
>> I've been successful in getting parts from the IEclipseContext, and from
>> them creating parts via MBasicFactory, etc.
>>
>> My current problem is the apparent requirement for implementing Handlers
>> to :
>> - have the classes pre-compiled (as opposed to being dynamically created
>> via in-memory bytecode generation as Clojure does). I'm thinking this
>> because of the required "class URI".
>> - use @Execute annotation instead of implementing an interface.
>>

> It looks like we forgot to add something like IContributionFactory for
> method calling!
>
> Still I'm not sure this is a problem to you because if I got it right
> you create a jvm-object instance (although dynamically) through
> IContributionFactory (you can push your own into the root context!). So
> can't you simply create an annotated method through Clojure?

I think I could create an annoted class through Clojure.
But still, it wouldn't be "ready to be read" from the bundle
jar/directory on the filesystem.
So I would still have to find a way to dynamically hook into the
mechanism so that I can load a class instance ...

> Looking at the default implementation (ReflectionContributionFactory)
> there was at one time an extension point to contribute new protcols
> (e.g. bundleclojure://mybundle/MyClojure.clojure) support but I doubt it
> is still available/working.

... so I really hope that this extension you're talking about is working.
Since my plugin will work within the regular Eclipse IDE, I'm not sure
I should push my own IContributionFactory replacing / superseding the
Eclipse's ReflectionContributionFactory.

I saw the extension point you're talking about. It's
IContributionFactorySpi, right ? Provided via the
org.eclipse.e4.languages extension point.

Why do you say you doubt it's still available/working?