[e4-dev] Model changes for 4.4 M4

Eric Moffatt  and I are planning a number of E4 model changes for next week (M4). Our initial cut is below:

* Change MCompositePart to extend MGenericTile<MPartSashContainerElement> rather than MPartSashContainer. (This is so that MCompositePart will extend only one concrete type, namely MPart. In implementing split editors/views, Eric found that the MPart/MPartSashContainer ambiguity caused some problems.)
* Deprecate MInputPart and MInput.
     * Question: Is there need for an 'inputSpec' attribute on MPart? (A replacement for MInput's inputURI attribute.)
* Create MWizard and MDialog classes (that extend MWindow), and add corresponding collection attributes on MApplication
     * Question
          * Is there need for new attributes on these classes?
          * Is there need for MWizardPage, too? (It seems to me that MWizard's 'children' being mapped to the wizard's pages is sufficient.)

Feedback is appreciated. In an effort to keep this discussion grounded, please support any suggested additions/changes with some form of code example that demonstrates why the change is necessary.

Regards,

Paul Elder
Eclipse UI Team @ IBM

Back to the top