Re: [e4-dev] Experiences of a rookie with the community or the first quarter of Eclipse development

hy brian,

thank you very much for your very constructive positive response! I will certainly take your counsel as advice, still need to find the self-confidence regaring the Eclipse developers community! :)
I like your saying, I'm not sure wether there is a german counterpart for it!

Thanks also for your advices regarding the correct handling of bugs and ramifications, maybe a Rookie's page on the wiki would be a good thing to do! :)

As to the good news, maybe I will be in need of your attenation as we have an application that constantly crashes on OS X when the last element of a List is removed; I documented the bug in 388402 and
I am close to find the identify the exact workflow! Maybe you could do the mentoring as soon as i develop the patch for it?

all the best,
marco

Am 23.11.2012 um 16:35 schrieb Brian de Alwis <briandealwis@xxxxxxxxx>:

>> Well, if two full committers tell you that it is not a problem for them you start to think its your own problem, not the communities! :)
>
> Committers are human too and make mistakes.  The problem with different platforms is that a problem on one doesn't necessarily happen on all of them.  Lars is a Linux-only guy, and I'm think Sopot's a Windows guy.
>
> And there's an old english saying: "the proof of the pudding is in the eating".  If the problem still occurs despite someone's protestations that it's not an issue, then it's still an issue.  And that's where you need to continue to protest ("the squeaky wheel gets the grease").
>
> I apologize to you as I (as the original reporter) should have chimed in.  But I've not had much spare time of late and I haven't been using the model editor and fragments of late to encounter the issue.  (I'm not even sure why I looked at it last night.)
>
>> I thought I did the explanation well enough, I even made a screencast on it which is referenced in comment #4, i wonder if someone watched it...
>
> Video is good to demonstrate that a problem exists.  Doesn't help so much to prove a problem has been solved, and doesn't help at all to understand the ramifications from a change.  Understanding these ramifications is the *hardest* part of accepting a patch: if you don't provide explanation, then I have to start from scratch to understand what you've already figured out.  That takes time.  And it doesn't help that I find the model editor code to be particularly difficult to penetrate: far too much repeated code, and opaque class and method names.  And that is draining.
>
> Anyways, the good news is that I will pay more attention to patches you submit :)
>
> Brian.

Back to the top