Re: [e4-dev] More info about the project

[...]

> I asked a similar question on the forums, but they are unavailable at
> the moment and I didn't get to read the answers. I'll write down the
> way I understand the transition process for an existing code base,
> please correct any misunderstandings.
>
> * Start with UI plugin, plugin.ui, which is 3x based (the non-UI
> plugins are unaffected by this)
> * Rename it to plugin.ui.3x. Add a dependency to the forward
> compatibility layer (FCL) (see
> http://tomsondev.bestsolution.at/2010/06/08/e4-a-forward-compat-layer/).
> This means that your update site must reference the e4 one, so that p2
> can install the needed e4 bundles from there.
> * Add an empty plugin.ui that depends on eclipse core bundles,
> SWT/JFace and e4 DI (and your own core plugins, obviously).
> * Choose a view and e4-ify it by using the FCL The resulting POJO will
> reside in plugin.ui, while the view will remain in plugin.ui.3x. Keep
> in mind that for the time being the compatibility layer is work in
> progress, not everything can be moved to the POJO yet.
> * Repeat for other views and editors. (I think this is about all that
> works at the moment)
> * As services from the "20 things" get implemented in e4 and get
> supported in the FCL, they can also be moved from plugin.ui.3x to
> plugin.ui. This might add more e4 bundles as dependencies for
> plugin.ui.
>
> * (later) In order to be able to run natively on 4x and to use the
> modeling tools, create a plugin.ui.4x plugin where you can add model
> fragments to define views/editors/etc the way they should be defined
> in 4x. Until this is done, running on 4x will use the backwards
> compatibility layer.
> * (much later) When you don't need to support 3x anymore, plugin.ui
> and plugin.ui.4x can be merged.
>
> Regarding commands/keybindings/menus -- are they supported by the FCL
> yet? Will they be?

I don't know yet how those need to be implemented but it's definately
something to look at for 4.1. Like I stated on the forum the current
state of the FCL is driven by need of my model-editor.

> Is this close to correct, or did I miss anything important?

Yes - That's the process I have used in my model-editor as well. It
started using the Backwards Compat Layer and was then devided into a
similar structure you describe above.

Tom

tom schindl                                        geschaeftsfuehrer/CEO
eduard-bodem-gasse 5/1    A-6020 innsbruck      phone    ++43 512 935834

Back to the top