Re: [e4-dev] Model Components questions (based on the photo example)

> These are just my opinions, but I think there's 2 issues here.   #1 is
> how ModelComponents works.  It's a generalized mechanism that allows
> you to add to a model location ... you just need to find that by ID.
> But that implies that you either understand a little of the
> application model you will be running in, or everybody uses the same
> IDs.  It's not as icky as it sounds, if you want your plugin view to
> appear in the Java perspective, then you must track down the Java
> perspective ID.

I think this will make life harder for RCP developers. You cannot just
pick a plugin, add it to your product and expect that it will show. Or
vice versa you cannot just take a product and add yourself to it. It
seems that the product or the plugin have to know about each other by
their ID's.

I'm not sure how this could be improved in e4 but I believe the
hard-coded placeholders are Eclipse 3.x, e.g. org.eclipse.ui.menus,
were easier to use and did allow a looser coupling between the
components.

Back to the top