Re: [e4-dev] Model Components questions (based on the photo example)

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Lars Vogel <lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think this will make life harder for RCP developers. You cannot just
> pick a plugin, add it to your product and expect that it will show. Or
> vice versa you cannot just take a product and add yourself to it. It
> seems that the product or the plugin have to know about each other by
> their ID's.
>
> I'm not sure how this could be improved in e4 but I believe the
> hard-coded placeholders are Eclipse 3.x, e.g. org.eclipse.ui.menus,
> were easier to use and did allow a looser coupling between the
> components.

the 3.x way was "know the IDs".  For the menu structure, the framework
published some basic locations (org.eclipse.ui.main.menu, viewIDs,
etc).  The application decided more of them, file, edit, window, help,
etc.  This can be done just as easily in e4, picking IDs and
publishing them.

The big difference that you noticed was that some infrastructure that
is in extension points in 3.x is in the model in e4, requiring us to
publish these IDs as "you must include this or no one can contribute
to your e4 app".  The biggest culprits ATM are org.eclipse.ui.commands
and org.eclipse.ui.menus, and global org.eclipse.ui.handlers.

PW

--
Paul Webster
Hi floor.  Make me a sammich! - GIR