Re: [e4-dev] Model Components questions (based on the photo example)

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Lars Vogel <lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if I run the phone from cvs head I get:
>
> Unable to find parent with ID "org.eclipse.e4.ide.app.menu.file" for
> extension "org.eclipse.e4.demo.e4photo"
> Unable to find parent with ID "org.eclipse.e4.ide.application" for
> extension "org.eclipse.e4.demo.e4photo"

These are just my opinions, but I think there's 2 issues here.   #1 is
how ModelComponents works.  It's a generalized mechanism that allows
you to add to a model location ... you just need to find that by ID.
But that implies that you either understand a little of the
application model you will be running in, or everybody uses the same
IDs.  It's not as icky as it sounds, if you want your plugin view to
appear in the Java perspective, then you must track down the Java
perspective ID.

The second is trickier ... OK, which IDS (we'll, whatever we rename
them to :-).    At some IDs must be constant as you need to add
commands, part descriptors, etc.  The other reason it is trickier is
because you have e4 and compatibility.  In e4, it makes sense to
create and use e4 identifiers.  In compatibility, those IDs are set:
org.eclipse.ui.main.menu, file, edit, help, window, left, right,
bottom, etc.

PW

--
Paul Webster