Re: [e4-dev] Why XML UI is important for us

Kaiping,

Comments below
Cheers,

Olivier

2009/10/9  <kfang@xxxxxx>:

> hal@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> In my experience with XSWT (similar to XWT) and the EMF-based TM, XML is
>> simple for simple cases, but very complex when the problem grows, while
>> EMF is slightly more complex for the simple cases, but scales very well
>> with increasing complexity.
>
> In our insurance application developpment avec 1500 UI forms, we hava 90 %
> of simple case and 10 % of complex case in UI developement.
>
> We perfer the simplicity of XWT than the EMF based approch because there
> isn't enough good skilled java developers in my team who can master EMF
> approch.

Did you read the ultra simple example I sent few hours ago ?
Who saids that using existing metamodels in EMF needs mastering the
whole framework (generation, validation, templating, etc....)

> You have to know that the skill of programming of application developers is
> very limited. But, they know very well the fonctionality of the
> applications.

There is not so many options :

1°) the designer has 'low' programming skills, then he definitely
needs a visual tool (or a good text editor, but in this case, XML
serialized EMF and 'pure' XML are not so different)

2°) the designer has  'medium' programming skills, then please check
again the source of my previous email.

Once again, using an existing EMF product does not require to know the
whole framework exactly as using XML does not requires to know how to
write a parser.

Cheers,

Olivier