Re: [e4-dev] e4 target platform

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Patrick Paulin<patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm starting to work with e4 from the perspective of an RCP developer, and I'm also looking at writing tutorials to help other developers get started.

One of the first thing I tried to do was set up a target platform for my e4 work, and I'm not having much luck. Is there a particular feature or set of features that can serve as a target platform for e4 work? Ideally, what I would like to see is a single option on the e4 repo that developers could select to get a fully-functional target platform. Is that a possibility?

Depends on what you want in your e4 target platform.  For example,
http://download.eclipse.org/e4/downloads/drops/R-0.9-200907291930/repository/
provides an HTML list of features.

The modeled workbench is provided in org.eclipse.e4.ui.feature (and
matching source feature) ... the CSS stuff in
org.eclipse.e4.ui.css.feature.  But then there's XWT, Toolkit Model,
the Flexible Resource work, OSGi+Programming Language support, the
Bespin server plus a few others.

org.eclipse.e4.sdk.runtime.feature is the highest level e4 feature
that includes all of the working bits of e4 (and you could install to
make a target platform).  It has a matching source feature that you
would need for development.  Unless I hear otherwise, I would imaging
the e4 sdk runtime feature is the e4 target platform.

The caveat:  It includes the compatibility layer, so while it is our
e4 target platform (as someone that has to support compatibility with
3.x) for someone that would like to develop small "pure" e4 RCP apps,
you wouldn't want it installed into your running eclipse (it wouldn't
actually matter for the RCP app, though).

Later,
PW

--
Paul Webster
Hi floor.  Make me a sammich! - GIR

When I try to create a target platform based on org.eclipse.e4.sdk.runtime.feature I get a "missing requirement" error referencing the org.osgi.util.tracker package. The dependency is coming from one of the ECF bundles. Is there some other feature I should be adding to my target?

I'm sure I could work through these dependencies, but it would be great if we had a single feature which would get developers up and running with e4 quickly. It would also be great if the feature was exposed when looking at the repo categories.

From a newbie perspective, here's what I went through. When I first started working on my target platform, I went to the e4 repo and saw the "E4 Runtime Features" category and thought that looked like what I might want. I opened the category and saw the "Eclipse e4 Runtime Support" feature and was hoping that might be serve as the base for my target platform. Of course, the description indicated otherwise, but this feature seems like it should be renamed and not given such prominence in the repo.

I think developers are going to go to the repo, and want to see features like this under the "E4 Runtime Features" category:

e4 Runtime - TP only
e4 Runtime Source- TP only
e4 Compatability Layer - TP only
e4 Compatability Layer Source - TP only

If these features worked out of the box, I think we could really increase the number of RCP developers exploring e4.

Regards,

--- Patrick

Back to the top