Re: [e4-dev] Dependency Preference and Versioning

Yes, you should version your packages if anyone is expected to be able to import your packages using Import-Package.

I agree with initially setting the package versions to the current bundle version. Most bundles in Eclipse today do not version their packages and most clients of the Eclipse APIs use Require-Bundle. IMO a vast majority of Eclipse API packages are versioned and consumed at the bundle level. Also historically the API packages at Eclipse evolve together at the bundle level and are versioned at the bundle level.

Once you start versioning your individual packages you need to decide weather their versions will evolve independently from each other. Unfortunately I don't think API tooling currently understands package versions evolution (it only tells you when you need to increase your bundle-version). But since a vast majority of Eclipse API is currently versioned at the coarse bundle level, I think it is acceptable to evolve the package versions at the bundle level to begin with. Individual developers are free to evolve their packages independently but I don't think we can recommend that until API tooling provides us with some assistance to do this correctly.

Tom

Inactive hide details for "Paul Webster" ---01/14/2009 08:32:32 AM---I would be happy with Import-Package instead of Require-Bu"Paul Webster" ---01/14/2009 08:32:32 AM---I would be happy with Import-Package instead of Require-Bundle. And

"Paul Webster" <pwebster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

01/14/2009 08:32 AM

Re: [e4-dev] Dependency Preference and Versioning

I would be happy with Import-Package instead of Require-Bundle.  And
as per discussions in some of the other lists, we would need to
version our packages if this was to be our best practice

But I'm also for keeping it simple, match the package version to the
bundle version.

PW

--
Paul Webster