[e4-dev] Process separation, network transparency, remoging

Currently, Eclipse runs in a single JVM process.

In OneBench, we use Eclipse as a container for running (and doing mashups between) multiple applications.

One challenge (both political and technical) that we run into is that applications can step on each other too easily when running in the same JVM.  For example, all applications have to share the same process-level Windows resource quotas.  Also, you have to be much more careful about what data you expose across "applications" using references.

I suggest that we might want to have a way for the Workbench window to host multiple "things" inside itself where each "thing" runs in a separate JVM and a separate O/S-level process.  This is the same idea as Google Chrome running each tab in a separate O/S level process.  The granularity level of "things" in this context is open to debate.  Reasonable proposals for what constitutes a remotable, embeddable "thing" could include perspectives, editors, views, etc.

Thoughts?

Best regards,

Dave Orme

Back to the top