[e4-dev] Dependency Preference and Versioning

Have we had a 'sins of our past' discussion around dependency preferences? For example, since we are starting anew in e4, should we prefer Import-Package over Require-Bundle everywhere to promote looser coupling? Furthermore, do we want to prevent people from re-exporting dependencies?

For versioning... if we prefer package-level versioning... do we want to evolve versions on a per-package basis or simply have package versions match bundle versions?

I'm only bringing this issue up as we have a chance to revisit the way we do dependencies and version things. I know there's many cases currently in the SDK where we have regretted either re-exporting a bundle (e.g., org.eclipse.ui mess) or versioning something improperly.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

~ Chris

Back to the top