Re: [e4-dev] e4 Survey

2009/1/13 Kevin McGuire <Kevin_McGuire@xxxxxxxxxx>

One problem we have (see, I said "problem" and not "challenge" or "opportunity" :> ) is that an inherent goal of e4 is to be open.  Thus the definition is determined by what the participants want to do, and is subject to change as they change their focus, more get involved, etc.  It's hard therefore to explain what it does for a consumer of it and has I think made our "messaging" kind of wishy washy.  If we had laid out a definitive road map it would've made it easier to focus people but it would've been at the cost of community building.

This is really true.

Here's my attempt at copy-editing John's comments with this in mind:

E4 is the community effort for building the next generation of the Eclipse Platform.  As a community effort, the functionality it delivers depends on what features the community's software developers decide to produce.  However, the following themes are emerging:

1) To simplify the Eclipse programming model.

2) To enable the platform for use on emerging web-based runtime technologies.

3) To broaden participation in development of the platform.

Simplifying the programming model will reduce development and maintenance costs and enable a larger developer community to leverage the platform in their own Eclipse-based applications.

Enabling the platform on new runtime technologies will ensure the platform remains a compelling and viable application framework in a rapidly changing web technology landscape. This will allow e4-based applications to leverage powerful new web technologies, while remaining insulated from specific technology choices that may quickly become obsolete.

Finally, broadening participation in development of the platform itself reduces the risks associated with building on a platform largely funded from a single source. Having a large and diverse group of commercial backers, will ensure the platform remains vibrant and viable over the long term.

Customers whose needs are aligned with E4's development goals and choose to contribute to it will reduce overall development costs, be able to leverage new runtime technologies without being locked into short term technology choices, and help to deliver a stable long term application platform.

------

Notes: I've mostly added formatting and done a tiny bit of wordsmithing.  The only thing I added was the thing about what we deliver depending on "what features community developers decide to produce."

Regards,

Dave

Back to the top