Re: [e4-dev] Project naming convention for junit test projects?

My preference for org.eclipse.<project>.<component>.tests is that it reflects how we work  - ie. teams generally group around components, not projects.   And that's how we've organized the repository for e4, with ui, resource, and swt as top level directories under /e4.

Finally, as you say, both JDT and PDE seem to follow org.eclipse.<project>.<component>.tests  (e.g. org.eclipse.jdt.ui.tests, org.eclipse.pde.ds.tests).

Regards,
Kevin

John Arthorne/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/09/2008 07:58 PM

Please respond to
E4 Project developer mailing list <e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
Re: [e4-dev] Project naming convention for junit test projects?

John

Kevin McGuire/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/09/2008 06:37 PM

Please respond to
E4 Project developer mailing list <e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
Re: [e4-dev] Project naming convention for junit test projects?

Thanks John.

Clearly I was expecting org.eclipse.e4.<componentArea>.tests.* to parallel what we do in the platform already (i.e. org.eclipse.ui.tests.*, org.eclipse.core.tests.*).

Basically what we're saying is that platform doesn't follow the guidelines.

Kevin

John Arthorne/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/09/2008 05:54 PM

Please respond to
E4 Project developer mailing list <e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
Re: [e4-dev] Project naming convention for junit test projects?

According to the Eclipse project naming conventions, it would be org.eclipse.e4.tests.*. This has the advantage of grouping all test bundles for a project separately in your workspace:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Naming_Conventions

John

Kevin McGuire/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/09/2008 02:52 PM

Please respond to
E4 Project developer mailing list <e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[e4-dev] Project naming convention for junit test projects?

Hi all,

I added a junit test suite and single test for the CSS work (it's a start!).  As an aside, it's a great use of test-first programming, since it's helping to prioritize and make concrete the remaining methods that need to be filled into the CSS support.

Anyhoo the naming I ended up with was:

    org.eclipse.e4.ui.tests.css.swt

which to my mind matches what we did before, like:

    org.eclipse.ui.tests.*

However, I notice we have:

    org.eclipse.e4.ui.compatibility.tests

which I think should be:

    org.eclipse.e4.ui.tests.compatibility

or maybe more specific while we're at it,

    org.eclipse.e4.ui.tests.workbench.compatibility

Thoughts?

Kevin