Re: [dtp-dev] Derby Connection Problems

Rob,

We'd like to be able to support Derby both in embedded and network server
mode. I think your option (2) below is a good suggestion, since it will
solve the current problem and also give the community further example code
for building on the connectivity frameworks.

Anyone have different ideas about this? If not, then I'd like Rob to work
with the Connectivity team to try to get this functionality in before M5.

Regards,
John Graham
Staff Software Engineer
Sybase, Inc.

             rcernich@sybase.c
             om
             dtp-dev-bounces@e         dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             clipse.org                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             01/27/2006 11:13          [dtp-dev] Derby Connection Problems
             PM

             Please respond to
              DTP development
               mailing list
             <dtp-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

Hey all,

As some of you may be aware, my recent changes to add managed connections
to connection profiles have broken support for Derby (my bad, I should have
tested against Derby).

Anyway, here's what the problem is...

Derby only allows one connection per JVM.  My changes cause a connection to
be created for each connection factory registered on the profile; in this
case, a generic JDBC connection factory and a SQL model connection factory.

Here are a couple of possible solutions:
1.  Run Derby as a network server, using the db2jcc driver for the client.
I have tested this and it does work.
2.  Create a custom connection profile for Derby.  This will allow us to
implement the JDBC connection factory in such a way that it properly closes
the connection (using Driver.connect("<url>;shutdown")) and serves up the
same connection every time.  I haven't tested this option, but am
reasonably sure it will work.

Does anybody have a preference as to which would be best?  Also, any
alternate solutions would be quite welcome.

Thanks,
Rob