[dtp-dev] Derby Connection Problems

Hey all,

As some of you may be aware, my recent changes to add managed connections
to connection profiles have broken support for Derby (my bad, I should have
tested against Derby).

Anyway, here's what the problem is...

Derby only allows one connection per JVM.  My changes cause a connection to
be created for each connection factory registered on the profile; in this
case, a generic JDBC connection factory and a SQL model connection factory.

Here are a couple of possible solutions:
1.  Run Derby as a network server, using the db2jcc driver for the client.
I have tested this and it does work.
2.  Create a custom connection profile for Derby.  This will allow us to
implement the JDBC connection factory in such a way that it properly closes
the connection (using Driver.connect("<url>;shutdown")) and serves up the
same connection every time.  I haven't tested this option, but am
reasonably sure it will work.

Does anybody have a preference as to which would be best?  Also, any
alternate solutions would be quite welcome.

Thanks,
Rob

Back to the top