Re: [dtp-connect-dev] Connectivity API review

Hi Rob,
        The ConnectionInfo object is only associated with one Database object and the java.sql.Connection object is associated with one particular database too. Therefore, I can't traverse the SQL model for other databases on the server identified by the connection profile, and I can't issue "use <database>" on the shared java.sql.Connection since it's intened to be read only. I understand that the managed connection is not DB specific, in that case, can we just name the second parameter as "String additionalKey" so that it looks generic and non-database connection profile factories can ignore this parameter?

Best Regards!

Max ( Hui ) Cao
Sr S/W Eng - Dev
Sybase, Inc. Shanghai, China

rcernich@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: dtp-connect-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/11/2006 02:38 AM

Please respond to
DTP Connectivity project development list <dtp-connect-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

DTP Connectivity project development list <dtp-connect-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [dtp-connect-dev] Connectivity API review

Thanks for the feedback Max.

The managed connection interface is responsible for managing a single
connection for each connection factory on the profile and is not specific
to DB profiles or connections.  The generic DB profile has two connection
factories, one for creating java.sql.Connection objects and one for
creating org.eclipse.datatools...ConnectionInof objects.  Given that, I do
not think it makes sense to add this to the interface.

If you require access to a specific database, you will need to traverse the
SQL model that is wrapped by the ConnectionInfo object.

Hope that helps,
Rob