[dsdp-tm-dev] TM "internal" vs. API packages

Hi all,

we have an ongoing effort to move as many RSE classes
and interfaces as possible into "internal" packages.

Since there was some confusion over what should become
internal, I wrote up a small document on the Wiki:
please read it and comment on it (just by editing;
be sure to leave your name there).
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/TM_API_vs_Internal

In short, EVERYTHING should go into internal
packages, except if
- it is documented in our ISV doc, or
- it is required by our current example code, or other
  known products on top of RSE, or
- it is referenced by some API as parameter.

Even shorter, the API should be as small as possible
but self-contained. Remember that API should be binary
compatible over releases. Just arguing that "somebody
could probably use..." does not suffice to make
something API.

Please think about it; we'll discuss it again in the
committer meeting tomorrow. I'd like to use the
remainder of this week to make as much "internal"
as we can.

Martin Oberhuber
Wind River Systems, Inc.
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm