[dsdp-tm-dev] Re: Questions on using RSE with Linux hosts

Hello Shawn,

Thanks a lot for your interest!
Regarding your questions:

1. Terminal View
Yes, the new Terminal view will provide shell capabilities as you require - including key bindings, formatting, colors etc. I've been testing a pre-version of the Terminal on telnet, and it allowed me to see man pages, and use a full-blown text-mode Emacs properly.

The point to see is, that a "command shell" like we currently have and a "terminal-like shell" as you request are two different use cases. The command shell we have now is always line oriented and performs output parsing for things like compiler error navigation. A terminal-like shell will perhaps be of more general use.

The Terminal View is currently pretty new (not yet checked in to CVS) so I'm not sure if it will be ready for RSE 1.0 or not - but we are working hard to make it available as soon as possible.

Regarding the Wicked Shell, I can't say a lot yet since I still have to talk to the author of that plugin.

2. Bug Report - Local Connection
You do not need to manually create the Local Connection, it is always
created for you already so you should be able to simply expand the
"Local" node in the RSE Tree.

Anyways, we'll want to track down the traceback that you are seeing.
Can you please go ahead and file a bug report stating exactly the same
information you gave. The best link into the bug tracking system is
on http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm , 4th item left ("Bugs"), "Submit new bugs".

3. Mailing List
As you state that you're interested in extending RSE, I recommend you join the dsdp-tm-dev mailing list. You can do so via the TM website. We are always glad to receive any contributions you might want to make to the Open Source RSE.

4. RSE Test Signup
As we are approaching our 1.0 release, we'll need people to do some coordinated testing of our release candidates. If you can invest 2 hours for testing, it would be great if you could join the test team. Would that be possible? See the current test signup page
  http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/RSE_1.0_Testing
for more information.

Martin Oberhuber
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm