Re: [dash-dev] Build Death Match @ EclipseCon?

Last week I had suggested the same thing, here is the text of the first email I sent to Jason, Thomas & Henrik:

> Pascal and I were thinking that it would be interesting to do a
> panel, long talk or sequence of lightning talks on the subject of build.

> Specifically, try to look at using each of PDE, Buckminster, Maven/
> Tycho & perhaps the new b3 to build OSGi bundles, Eclipse RCP
> products and p2 repositories.

> What are we doing the same, or doing differently, as well as plans
> for the future.

I'm not sure what the best format is.

-Andrew

From: Nick Boldt <nickboldt@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Tools for Committer Community <dash-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, jvanzyl@xxxxxxxxxxxx, ed merks <ed.merks@xxxxxxxxx>, Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx>, henrik.lindberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian Bull <irbull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12/07/2009 02:16 PM
Subject: [dash-dev] Build Death Match @ EclipseCon?
Sent by: dash-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Would you guys like to participate in a showcase of the pros/cons of the
three main technologies for building @ Eclipse: Athena/PDE,
b3/Buckminster, Tycho/Maven?

Until all three converge, there will be benefits to each approach, and I
think it might be useful to show people how they differ, what their
histories are (PDE wrapper for on-server headless builds, workspace &
target provisioning + headless building, using Maven/p2 repos for OSGi
builds), and where they're headed.

I'm not sure the best format for such a discussion, but I think we would
certainly want to present three technologies for producing the same
build, and what each one nets you out of the box. We could look at
something fairly simple, like GEF, then something fairly complex, like
VE or ATF, or even one of the deep-chain Modeling builds with their long
stacks of dependencies.

--
Nick Boldt ::
http://nick.divbyzero.com