Re: [dash-dev] Common Build Infrastructure

Hi Nick,
I'm CC'ing this to Adrian Skehill who is the Buckminster build-meister.

Nick Boldt wrote:
Does Buckminster handle JUnit test running, collating, and reporting?
Our current approach is to first build, then configure a runtime that contains the JUnit test and then run them. Headless execution of JUnit tests directly from the workspace (the way the IDE does it) is work in progress.

Our own build system is using Hudson for collating and reporting.

Update site generation (with p2 metadata, site digest, signing &
packing)?
Yes, we do all of that.

 Does it produce web-friendly output, or XML files that would
need to be XSL'd for publication?
Take a look at http://dev.cloudsmith.com:8088. It's not Buckminster per se. What you see here is a Hudson configuration that Adrial has set up. This can also serve as an example of "project infrastructure".

My vision here is to "plug in values" via a web form and "type
'build'" by hitting a button on that form. It would be controlled by
properties files hosted in CVS (or eventually, configurable data in
the Portal), with minimal options in the web UI.

Here's what the current UI looks like, for the prototyped GEF build we
set up in June:

http://build.eclipse.org/cbi/gef/build/

This UI worked when tested in June, but some of the links (once you
fire the build) are broken (again, path differences between servers
and NFS issues between build.eclipse and download.eclipse). I'm open
to any facelifts, testing, recoding, etc. that people want to provide.

But the fact is this works today, and anything using another unproven*
technology (Buckminster, Maven, m2e, whatever) works... some day.
Which approach will get us to the goal sooner?

I think an approach where we can work together and acknowledge each others efforts is the fastest way forward. If Buckminster can be a complement to what you have in mind, that's great. If you think Buckminster can play a major role in it (I'm of course convinced that that is the case, but I'm somewhat biased ;-) ), that's even better.

I know you don't have all the time in the world, and neither do we. I also know you are an expert on most things regarding the Eclipse.org infrastructure and build system requirements. It would be a dream come true if we could join forces and create a more official Eclipse build system that is usable by everyone. Both at Eclipse.org and in other locations.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Back to the top