Re: [dash-dev] Common Build Infrastructure

In terms of scalability (think same infra, 20+ projects), I'd rather
see someone try to build GEF, VE, or PDT than a quickie demo app.

We're looking for *project* infrastructure, not *application*
infrastructure... at least IMHO, that is.

I'm all for Buckminster's use if it makes talking to PDE easier. I
haven't used Buckminster since a couple EclipseCONs ago, when it was
described as being "difficult" to set up the cspec files. I'm sure
it's gotten easier since then. (I've played with the Ganymatic, which
uses Buckminster, but that's not a "build" as such, just an assembly.)

Does Buckminster handle JUnit test running, collating, and reporting?
Update site generation (with p2 metadata, site digest, signing &
packing)? Does it produce web-friendly output, or XML files that would
need to be XSL'd for publication?

My vision here is to "plug in values" via a web form and "type
'build'" by hitting a button on that form. It would be controlled by
properties files hosted in CVS (or eventually, configurable data in
the Portal), with minimal options in the web UI.

Here's what the current UI looks like, for the prototyped GEF build we
set up in June:

http://build.eclipse.org/cbi/gef/build/

This UI worked when tested in June, but some of the links (once you
fire the build) are broken (again, path differences between servers
and NFS issues between build.eclipse and download.eclipse). I'm open
to any facelifts, testing, recoding, etc. that people want to provide.

But the fact is this works today, and anything using another unproven*
technology (Buckminster, Maven, m2e, whatever) works... some day.
Which approach will get us to the goal sooner?

Nick

* Unproven for the usecase ** we have before us, not unproven in and of itself.
** Common infrastructure to run many divergent builds from the same
(or similar) UI, with quick setup & immediate debug feedback for each.

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Would building the Sudoku app be a good example? Any specific requirements
> on what the builder should do besides build the product that I should know
> about?
>
> - thomas
>
> Wayne Beaton wrote:
>>
>> I think it's a smashing idea.
>>
>> Wayne

>>> Setting up a working prototype of a simple, generic builder in your Home
>>> directory on build.eclipse.org -- one  that would allow someone like Wayne
>>> to plug in values and type 'build' during a short conference call while we
>>> all share a screen -- would be a great way of getting us all to answer
>>> 'YES!' to the above question.
>>>
>>> What do you think?

Back to the top