[dash-dev] Revised home page and now a project plan too

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James Ervin <jeervin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, May 2, 2008 at 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: [dash-dev] Revised home page and now a project plan too
To: Tools for Committer Community <dash-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Yes I concur with Karl.  To allay your concerns Steve, I would like to make the following points.

First off, groovy-monkey is a working project that I use every day.  There are others that use it too.

Secondly, I think the biggest thing for existing Eclipse Monkey users will be getting the Rhino Ecmascript engine to work and to port any DOM over to the new framework.  DOM porting should be relatively simple, it is the getting Rhino to behave like the other engines that I would love help with.

Thirdly, don't let the name groovy-monkey fool you, it started off as a port of Eclipse monkey to groovy, but it is now largely language agnostic.  It leverages the Bean Scripting Framework (not javax.script at this time) and any therefore implementation of a BSF Engine could be plugged in.  The only thing that is that the engine not only needs to evaluate scripts in the given language, accept variable bindings, but it must allow for interaction with POJOs through setting up the classloader for the engine.  I couldn't get Rhino (I am not an expert) nor Jython at the time to function.  I therefore settled on allowing Beanshell, Groovy and Ruby, which is what groovy-monkey currently supports.  In fact there is an extension point that defines how to plugin in a new language (in the beginning I even tried getting NetRexx and Tcl to work).

Thanks,
James