From: Ebright, Don [mailto:Don.Ebright@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 7:11 PM
To: Natale, Bob
Cc: cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Eclipse COSMOS, Apache Muse, and IETF MIB2RMDL effort
Bob,

Thank you for bringing this effort to my attention.  At a minimum, I intend to follow the mailing list.  I can't give you an official response, but I will give you my personal opinions for now and let the project give you a more complete formal answer later.

After reading the presentation, I believe that the goals of MIB2RMDL align well with some COSMOS data collection component requirements.  In particular, a standard mapping between SNMP MIBs and a SOA resource model is needed and I believe that IETF is a much better choice to organize this standardization effort than attempting to do something ourselves.  A SNMP proxy based on Muse would be even more useful as COSMOS has already committed to Muse and hopes to be able to deliver such a proxy.  My primary concern at this point is that it may prove somewhat difficult to achieve broad consensus on a common approach at the metamodel layer, but that is not my area of expertise so I will leave that for others to ponder.