[cosmos-dev] Re: Eclipse COSMOS, Apache Muse, and IETF MIB2RMDL effort

Bob,

Thanks for the note.  I've scheduled a few minutes on our weekly COSMOS architecture call to get some initial input and feedback from the group.  Once you've completed your document, it might make sense for you to attend one of these calls so we can have a general discussion about this work.  We've got a face to face meeting next week, so perhaps the week of the 14th or 21st would work.  In the meantime, I'll encourage everyone on the COSMOS team to look over the information that you've provided so we can all get up to speed and start the discussion via e-mail.

Thanks,

-Mark W.

Mark Weitzel | STSM | IBM Software Group | Tivoli | Autonomic Computing | (919) 543 0625 | weitzelm@xxxxxxxxxx

"Natale, Bob" <RNATALE@xxxxxxxxx>

04/28/2007 05:50 PM

Mark D Weitzel/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
Subject
Eclipse COSMOS, Apache Muse, and IETF MIB2RMDL effort

Hi Mark,

I am contacting you because of your participation on the COSMOS project.  If possible could you please:

1. Review the IETF MIB to Resource Model Description Language (MIB2RMDL) info below and let me know whether you think that collaboration between COSMOS and MIB2RMDL makes sense.

2. Give me an update wrt COSMOS progress.

3. Let me know whether you see a productive relationship between Muse, COSMOS, and MIB2RMDL.

At the IETF O&M Area meetings in Prague (March 18-23), we held a mini-BOF on the topic of standardizing a methodology to convert SNMP MIBs to SOA/WS resource model artifacts (tagged as "MIB to Resource Model Description Language" (MIB2RMDL), using "Language" very loosely in this context).  The purpose of the MIB2RMDL effort is to enable unified service/network/system management from the SOA/WS management level by making the virtual library of data models represented by SNMP MIBs and the management instrumentation supporting them more directly accessible to SOA/WS management applications.

The material presented in Prague is available at http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/07mar/slides/opsarea-7.ppt. It's relatively short (13 slides or so) and employs the "repetition is the key to learning" approach (familiar to many from Jeff Case's many helpful tutorials on SNMP in past years).

The O&M Area decided to proceed with further investigation of the MIB2RMDL idea, with the first step being to establish an e-mail list for discussion of the proposal. If you would like to participate or even just monitor the discussion, you can subscribe at https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mib2rdml.

My hope is that the discussion will lead to sufficient definition and further acceptance of the MIB2RMDL proposal so that we can charter a formal Working Group at IETF-69 in Chicago this July.

To jumpstart the e-mail list discussion, I will produce and post an updated (-01) I-D in the next week or so, incorporating input/feedback from the Prague meeting and anything else that might develop on this list in the meantime. (Co-authors welcomed.)  The initial (-00) exploratory I-D is available at http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-natale-snmp-mibs-to-ontology-00.txt, but I recommend waiting for the -01 update.

If you know of other individuals or groups who might be interested in or able to contribute to this work, please forward this message to them.

(MITRE is a non-profit and vendor neutral federally funded research and development center -- www.mitre.org.)

Cheers,
BobN

Back to the top