RE: [cosmos-dev] Status of Datacenter SML example

Harm,

Thanks for the background on facets. Do you see any properties of a type as being ‘intrinsic’, i.e. not belonging to a facet?  Looking at the datacenter example, the only one I see is item:name, which is also used as an sml:key for all of the types (rack, cable, etc. all extends item). I’m assuming that sml:key could be applied to complex types as well as attributes? Could a facet (or some aspect of a facet) act as an sml:key?

Can you give an example of when you would use sml:acyclic=false? Is this for the typical bill-of-materials scenario, or do the cycles refer to instances rather than types?

Mark,

I’m working with some internal folks to get up a use case, but principally it comes down to being able to import subsets of external model definitions (initially as a type system, and then as instances), and to associate instances in my internal representation with external sensor data streams so that I can do live impact/root cause analysis, SLA monitoring, etc.  Some of the things I’m dealing with are identity discrimination (basically identifying entities by sets of properties and/or relationships to other entities), model mappings (we attach to many technologies with different “world views”), time-series identification, and concern separation (which is where the facet/capability stuff comes into play).  My life would be made easier by something like CML, particularly if it had the following characteristics:  I’d like to see a mechanism for specifying identity equivalence in the model (I think this is already do-able with SML). I’d also like to see a way to add semantic hints (in an agreed upon fashion) to property definitions in the model, so that I could use the model to drive sensor identification and configuration and to decide how deal with the sensor data.  I think this could be easily done using schema annotations, similar to the way the sml:key information is handled.

Cheers,

Joel