Re: [cdt-dev] Are managed projects a requirement/recommendation or the new build system is enough?

On Mittwoch, 9. Dezember 2020 00:29:42 CET Liviu Ionescu wrote:
> > On 9 Dec 2020, at 00:56, Martin Weber <fifteenknots505@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Well, after 7 year of driving through CDT code base: It depends on being a
> > masochist or not :-)
>
> Actually the question was different: is CDT without MBS, at this moment,
> able to support something functional? In other words, if I start a new
> build plug-in based on CDT without MBS, can I get multiple build
> configurations and a functional indexer, or I have to patch/rewrite half of

IIRC, CDT currently has three build systems:

- Makefile project:  Users have to maintain their buildscripts. Users have to
teach the indexer about include paths and macros.

- MBS aka Managed (Makefile) Build System: CDT generates the build-scripts for
users. CDT itself provides buildscript-generation for the 'make' build tool
only. Tries to teach the indexer about include paths and macros by parsing
build output (focused on gcc). Users may additonally to teach the indexer
about include paths and macros.

- The thing called 'core build'. Its javadoc is poor, and there are no concept
papers explaining what it is supposed to do and the author is no longer with
us.  Tries to teach the indexer about include paths and macros by parsing
build output (focused on gcc). Provides no mean for users to teach the
indexer.

CDT-cmake, CDT-meson and CDT-qt?? are based on that core-build thing.

CDT-cmake feeds include paths and macros specified in the user's
CMakeLists.txt files to the indexer. If the compiler supports built-ins-
detection, it feeds that to the indexer, too. If not, users cannot teach the
indexer, ATM.

Martin

--
Cd wrttn wtht vwls s mch trsr.