Re: [cdt-dev] Are managed projects a requirement/recommendation or the new build system is enough?

On Dienstag, 8. Dezember 2020 22:56:27 CET Liviu Ionescu wrote:
> > On 8 Dec 2020, at 23:42, Martin Weber <fifteenknots505@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Dienstag, 8. Dezember 2020 01:56:05 CET Liviu Ionescu wrote:
> >> I did not get to study the new CDT build support (yet), but I was
> >> surprised
> >> to see that cmake4eclipse creates a kind of managed build projects, while
> >> the CDT cmake plug-ins do not.
> >
> > cmake4eclipse does not create a MBS project,

It required a MBS.prj.

> Well, perhaps there is something wrong with my configuration, but in order
> to create a cmake4eclipse project, you have to go to C/C++ Project, select
> either C Managed Build or C++ Managed Build, and then CMake driven.

Yes, you created a MBS project: ' CMake driven' hooks it in as the build-
script-generator for MBS.

> Not to mention that the .project file reads:
> <name>org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.ScannerConfigBuilder</name>
> 	<natures>
> 		<nature>org.eclipse.cdt.core.cnature</nature>

<nature>org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.managedBuildNature</nature>

<nature>org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.ScannerConfigNature</nature>
> 	</natures>
> It might be a matter of semantics, but to me this look pretty much like a
> managed build project.

It *is* MBS.

> Project created with the more easily accessible cmake project results into a
> .project file like:
> 	<natures>
> 		<nature>org.eclipse.cdt.core.cnature</nature>
> 		<nature>org.eclipse.cdt.core.ccnature</nature>
> 		<nature>org.eclipse.cdt.cmake.core.cmakeNature</nature>
> 	</natures>
..
> Without knowing anything about the internals, I think that the second looks
> more reaonable.

It is CDT cmake support w/o MBS.

> My question stands: should a new build plug-in continue to use the old
> managedBuildNature, or create a new nature, like cmake.core.cmakeNature?

Well, after 7 year of driving through CDT code base: It depends on being a
masochist or not :-)
IMHO, managedBuildNature is doomed due to not attracting new committers. Run a
code metrics analyser of your choice on the source; then check the 'percentage
of documented public API' metric and think yourself.

Martin

--
Centerum censeo MBS esse delendam. SCNR.

Back to the top