Re: [cdt-dev] Are managed projects a requirement/recommendation or the new build system is enough?

> On 8 Dec 2020, at 23:42, Martin Weber <fifteenknots505@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Dienstag, 8. Dezember 2020 01:56:05 CET Liviu Ionescu wrote:
>> I did not get to study the new CDT build support (yet), but I was surprised
>> to see that cmake4eclipse creates a kind of managed build projects, while
>> the CDT cmake plug-ins do not.
>
> cmake4eclipse does not create a MBS project,

Well, perhaps there is something wrong with my configuration, but in order to create a cmake4eclipse project, you have to go to C/C++ Project, select either C Managed Build or C++ Managed Build, and then CMake driven.

Not to mention that the .project file reads:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<projectDescription>
	<name>mmm</name>
	<comment></comment>
	<projects>
	</projects>
	<buildSpec>
		<buildCommand>
			<name>org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.genmakebuilder</name>
			<triggers>clean,full,incremental,</triggers>
			<arguments>
			</arguments>
		</buildCommand>
		<buildCommand>
			<name>org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.ScannerConfigBuilder</name>
			<triggers>full,incremental,</triggers>
			<arguments>
			</arguments>
		</buildCommand>
	</buildSpec>
	<natures>
		<nature>org.eclipse.cdt.core.cnature</nature>
		<nature>org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.managedBuildNature</nature>
		<nature>org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.ScannerConfigNature</nature>
	</natures>
</projectDescription>

It might be a matter of semantics, but to me this look pretty much like a managed build project.

Project created with the more easily accessible cmake project results into a .project file like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<projectDescription>
	<name>rrr</name>
	<comment></comment>
	<projects>
	</projects>
	<buildSpec>
		<buildCommand>
			<name>org.eclipse.cdt.core.cBuilder</name>
			<triggers>clean,full,incremental,</triggers>
			<arguments>
			</arguments>
		</buildCommand>
	</buildSpec>
	<natures>
		<nature>org.eclipse.cdt.core.cnature</nature>
		<nature>org.eclipse.cdt.core.ccnature</nature>
		<nature>org.eclipse.cdt.cmake.core.cmakeNature</nature>
	</natures>
</projectDescription>

Without knowing anything about the internals, I think that the second looks more reaonable.

---

My question stands: should a new build plug-in continue to use the old managedBuildNature, or create a new nature, like cmake.core.cmakeNature?

Regards,

Liviu

Back to the top