Re: [cdt-dev] CMake plugins

That's awesome. Thank you for getting that together. I think that action of changing the copyright notices would be sufficient evidence of the agreement.

> If eclipse.org is interested, how should we proceed?
> If the license info in CmakeEd code will had been changed to EPL, would
> eclipse.org provide
> - code hosting,
> - an issue tracker and
> - CI build infrastructure?

Yes, eclipse has all those things.

> Or would it be sufficient to eclipse.org to just have a reference in their EPP
> composite update site that points to CmakeEd`s update site?

No, EPP packages can only refer to sites hosted on Eclipse infrastructure.

> NOTE: CmakeEd roughly follows the releases cycles of cmake as they evolve
> their language, which is about every 3-4 weeks currently. EPP cycles are much
> longer.

Does the language actually change every 3-4 weeks? Are these minor releases or maintenance releases. Projects can release maintenance releases at anytime. And they can actually release minor releases any time as well. EPP is just a packaging convenience.

> I would prefer to NOT have CmakeEd under the CDT umbrella, my concerns are
> that
> - CmakeEd issues would get lost under the ~65k open issues under CDT and
> IMHO more important,

We can make CMake be its own component so it has a clean slate. And CDT doesn't have 65K open issues. It's only around 4k. And if we actually triage them, there would be way less.

> - cmake itself is not tied to just C/C++. According to [1], cmake can generate
> build scripts to compile at least eight source languages. I think it`s better to have
> CmakeEd below some kind of 'Eclipse Source Editors' umbrella.

That same argument could be made for most CDT features like build and debug. Only the editor and source navigation are C/C++ specific. And we have plans to bring target management into the fold.

We could make it a subproject of CDT. There are certain project management things that need to be done for Eclipse projects, release reviews, CQ's, etc. It's a non-trivial amount of work that we're already doing in CDT. It is well documented here: https://eclipse.org/projects/handbook if you haven't already seen it.

It's my belief that we need CMake support in the CDT and we have a good start on that with more contributions coming. We'd love to have your work be a huge addition to it and fill in the holes. We'd be happy to switch our plans to help you bring it in and contribute to it and make sure it's a great experience for all our users.

Let us know if you have more questions.
Thanks,
Doug.