Re: [cdt-dev] API breaking change in CDT debug

In this case, yes, since IPresentationContext is an interface that downstream plugins can (and often do) implement. As Pawel explained, that was an acceptable platform change because the type is in a provisional/internal package. But my point is that it happens in even more general cases. If the platform adds, e.g., a new interface for a new capability, and a CDT committer takes advantage of it, that's perfectly normal, acceptable and even expected. That will have the consequences that you've witnessed. It requires all CDT developers to move up to the latest platform milestone. The only hard "rule" is that the committer must not check in the change until the platform addition is available via a milestone (it may be available in platform's HEAD much earlier).

John

At 04:30 PM 3/15/2010, Dave Korn wrote:
On 15/03/2010 21:01, John Cortell wrote:
> :-) It's expected, and happens often enough--any time CDT takes
> advantage of a new capability in the platform.

  Right, I think I get it; it's only a semi-stable and private, internal API,
whereas the breakpoint constants are part of the public interface that
external plugins might depend on.

    cheers,
      DaveK