From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Daniel Jacobowitz
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 1:55 AM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Debug source lookup question

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 06:11:05PM -0000, Mikhail Khodjaiants wrote:
> At the same time if GDB could solve the source lookup problems
> internally we would only need to perform the external source lookup if

> the debug information was not sufficient.

Source lookup is an environment issue by definition.  For GDB to get it
right, you have to give it adequate and correct information.
What this means in practice, I think, is (A) not dumping a pile of
-environment-directory commands at GDB, and (B) offering an interface to
the source translation mechanism in recent versions of GDB (set
substitute-path).  I haven't thought about it much, but it seems to me
that the ideal interface for this would require a file browser - for
instance, have the user locate one source file manually and then figure
out how many directory levels up to set substitute-path (containing
directory?  grandparent directory?).

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery