Re: [cdt-dev] How to create a CDT Standard Make Project

On Friday 30 May 2008 17:08:14 Subs wrote:
> I agree, and we have customers that run into the opposite problem - they
> don't realise that the tree expands and so only every generate the 'top
> level' project type, without every seeing the 'sub' projects listed within.

> Oberhuber, Martin wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just came across what I find a MAJOR hurdle for
> > CDT Newbies, or people upgrading from earlier versions.
> >
> > I wanted to create a CDT Standard Make project; looking
> > for the corresponding project type that used to be there,
> > I didn't find it so I chose "C Project".
> >
> > On the page where I can select Project types, I found a
> > folder "Makefile Project" and below it an item "Hello world
> > C++ Project". So, no way to create a normal Makefile
> > Project?
> >
> > It took a CDT committer (Markus) to tell me that I can
> > actually select the FOLDER named "Makefile Project"
> > and it's a valid project type. It might be obvious for
> > CDT committers and power users, but I don't think that
> > any newbie would ever find that out by himself.
> >
> > What about making the folders non-selectable and adding
> > separate items below them for the normal config? Or,
> > going with a tree like this:
> >
> > Managed Build Executable/
> >    +- CDT Executable Project
> >    + Examples/
> >          Hello World C++ Project
> > Managed Build Shared Library/
> >    + CDT Shared Library Project
> > Makefile project/
> >    + CDT Makefile Project
> >    + Examples/
> >          Hello World C++ Project
> > Where the folders (boldface) are not selectable but just
> > expandable containers for the subnodes.

We have a local patch implementing almost exactly that. Specifically,
project categories are made unselectable, and each project category has
"Empty Project" item automatically added to it -- which generates a project
without a template, just like selecting a category does now. Also
we auto-expand the very first project category when a wizard is shown.

I can either send the patches to anybody interested, or create an issue
and attach the patches there -- just tell what is preferred.

- Volodya

Back to the top