Re: [cdt-dev] How to create a CDT Standard Make Project

I agree, and we have customers that run into the opposite problem - they don't realise that the tree expands and so only every generate the 'top level' project type, without every seeing the 'sub' projects listed within.

Oberhuber, Martin wrote:
Hi all,
I just came across what I find a MAJOR hurdle for
CDT Newbies, or people upgrading from earlier versions.
I wanted to create a CDT Standard Make project; looking
for the corresponding project type that used to be there,
I didn't find it so I chose "C Project".
On the page where I can select Project types, I found a
folder "Makefile Project" and below it an item "Hello world
C++ Project". So, no way to create a normal Makefile
Project?
It took a CDT committer (Markus) to tell me that I can
actually select the FOLDER named "Makefile Project"
and it's a valid project type. It might be obvious for
CDT committers and power users, but I don't think that
any newbie would ever find that out by himself.
What about making the folders non-selectable and adding
separate items below them for the normal config? Or,
going with a tree like this:
Managed Build Executable/
   +- CDT Executable Project
   + Examples/
         Hello World C++ Project
Managed Build Shared Library/
   + CDT Shared Library Project
Makefile project/
   + CDT Makefile Project
   + Examples/
         Hello World C++ Project
Or, even a tree like this: *Managed Build/*
    + Executable
    + Shared Library
    + Static Library
    + Empty Project
    + *Examples/*
           Hello World C++ Project
           Hello World ANSI C Project
*Makefile Project/*
    + CDT Makefile Project
    + *Examples/*
          Hello World C++ Project
Where the folders (boldface) are not selectable but just expandable containers for the subnodes. Cheers,
--
*Martin Oberhuber*, Senior Member of Technical Staff, *Wind River*
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm