RE: [cdt-dev] "assert" in cdt source vs. java compiler versionsinprojects

A couple of things to note here:
1) In general, the source plugins do not contain enough information to build them.  They are mainly for debugging and browsing purposes, if you want to build, you are better off getting the projects from CVS.

2) Because you do have assertions in your code, and the CDT builds use 1.4 as source/target. the Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment: J2SE-1.4 is a very good idea since you will not run on a 1.3 vm.

3) In the absence of overriding build settings, Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment is used to derive the bootclasspath as well as source and target levels at buildtime.  The default source/target for J2SE-1.4 is 1.3/1.2
See http://help.eclipse.org/help33/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.pde.doc.user/guide/tasks/pde_compilation_env.htm

4) By default asserts are not enabled at runtime, they do nothing unless you run with the vm argument -ea.  It may be more effective to use org.eclipse.core.runtime.Assert instead.

-Andrew

Don Porges <dporges@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/12/2007 10:47 AM

Please respond to

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
RE: [cdt-dev] "assert" in cdt source vs. java compiler        versionsinprojects

Looks like that's correct.  The three plugins in question, plus one other
(org.eclipse.cdt.debug.ui), are the ones that have this in their
MANIFEST.MF:

Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment: J2SE-1.4

That must be what causes the difference.  (As it happens,
org.eclipse.cdt.debug.ui doesn't use the assert keyword, which is why it
didn't give me any trouble.)

So, as the only person in the world who cares, I wouldn't mind if that line
was removed from those 4 MANIFEST.MF files...unless those of you who know
better think that it should be in ALL of them.  But I bet they should all be
the same, one way or the other.

Schorn, Markus wrote:

> PDE might use the information about the execution-environment stored in
> the MANIFEST.MF file, but I don't really know that.
> Markus.

>>> org.eclipse.cdt.refactoring