RE: [cdt-dev] "assert" in cdt source vs. java compiler versionsinprojects

At 10:15 AM 12/12/2007, Andrew Niefer wrote:

A couple of things to note here:
1) In general, the source plugins do not contain enough information to build them.  They are mainly for debugging and browsing purposes, if you want to build, you are better off getting the projects from CVS.

I have always been able to build CDT and platform plugins by importing them from the distribution, and I think we should take all reasonable measures to ensure users can continue to do that. It is possible to configure the distribution plugin so that an import operation creates a project with specific build-target settings. Import org.eclipse.ant.ui and you'll see. Markus's suggestion might provide the solution. I think it's a mistake to take the position that users should just build from cvs. You say that as if it's a no brainer, but I doubt someone who's never done it before would agree. We should eliminate hurdles for people that want to explore/experiment with changing code in CDT.

4) By default asserts are not enabled at runtime, they do nothing unless you run with the vm argument -ea.  It may be more effective to use org.eclipse.core.runtime.Assert instead.

This subject is probably tangential, but I think a key advantage of using the built-in Java assert feature is the very thing you imply is a disadvantage--the ease in which it can be turned on-off at runtime, and the fact that it's a standard/universal mechanism. I don't know why the use of a home-grown assert should be necessary or encouraged; it made sense prior to 1.4 but not now, in my opinion.

John

Back to the top