RE: [cdt-dev] Proof in the pudding

Thanks, Martin, I needed that J

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Imrisek, Martin
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 4:13 PM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: RE: [cdt-dev] Proof in the pudding

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :^)

 The principal trouble with the proof is in the pudding is that it makes no sense. What has happened is that writers half-remember the proverb as the proof of the pudding, which is also unintelligible unless you know the full form from which the tag was taken, and have modified it in various ways in unsuccessful attempts to turn it into something sensible.

[...]

The full proverb is indeed the proof of the pudding is in the eating and proof has the sense of “test” (as it also has, or used to have, in phrases such as proving-ground and printer’s proof). The proverb literally says that you won’t know whether food has been cooked properly until you try it. Or, putting it figuratively, don’t assume that something is in order or believe what you are told, but judge the matter by testing it; it’s much the same philosophy as in seeing is believing and actions speak louder than words.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pro1.htm