[cdt-dev] CDT release review

Hi folks,

just wanted to give everyone a quick summary of the CDT 3.0 release review meeting we had this morning with the Eclipse EMO (Bjorn Freeman-Benson, with Doug, Dave, Derrick and myself attending from CDT). General information on release reviews can be found at  http://www.eclipse.org/org/processes/index.html, while the specific presentation for CDT 3.0 is at http://www.eclipse.org/org/processes/slides/CDT_3_0_Release_Review.pdf.

The main highlights of the review (apart from all the features in 3.0) were as follows:

- We provided information on all CDT committers/contributors as part of the requirement for the IP due diligence (this is why some of you received some questions about patches/contributions you submitted in the last few months). The Eclipse EMO was happy with what we provided (we have one thing that has to be addressed) - I will post the spreadsheet of contributors/IP information when it is finalized. There are also some suggestions to streamline the process in the future - will post this separately.

- We also had a discussion about APIs; we presented a table of CDT APIs (see slide 18). There is a strong desire within Eclipse for projects to provide "platform APIs" (locked-down, documented APIswith docs, tests, compatibility guarantees etc). Quite a few of the CDT APIs are still marked as "provisional" (DOM, CModel, Indexer), in part because of the re-architecting we have done in 3.0 and the desire to get feedback and miles before locking down the APIs.The Eclipse EMO has asked that we commit to promoting these APIs to "platform" with our next major release.

I will update the slides to reflect the 2 points above (and Bjorn will repost the final slides). After this is done, we have the green light for the CDT 3.0 release from Eclipse.

I also want to take the opportunity to thank everyone for all their hard work on 3.0!

Regards,

Sebastien

Back to the top